Saturday, March 30, 2013

Poker Night (Poem)



Poker Night

Robert, Neil, Gabriel and me
play poker talking philosophy.
Robert has a Road Not Taken,
Neil wins with three Dreams..
The night dances by the window still.

Gabriel, alone, deals for a hundred years.
Millions of eyes watching, staring at him.
I, in turn, observe silently.
I’m out this hand, as in hands before.
Waiting patiently for my turn.
Robert, Neil and Gabriel play until dawn.
Winning, losing chips in every hand.

Outside idea-wolves solemnly howl
of inks and papers and stories to be.
Moving paintings in the walls sing lullabies.
Rocking softly, the chips bid goodnight.

I sit back and wonder
what will be in my hand,
how to win smiling chips,
how to make my cards come to life,
how to beat them in their own house.

Robert, Neil, Gabriel and me
play poker talking philosophy.
When my hand comes will there be
a full house?
Or do I bluff my way to eternity?

(2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment